Friday, June 24, 2011

Smokin' Seventeen

Smokin' Seventeen: A Stephanie Plum NovelStephanie Plum is at it again...  crazy grandma, suffocatingly involved parents, two men and a crappy job.  In the latest installment, Plum is having some extraordinarily bad luck (even for her).  Between Morelli's grandma giving her the eye and all the people that are out to kill her, Stephanie stays pretty busy!

Although I will be the first to say I'll be sad when Evanovich ends this series, I also have to admit the stories are getting very repetitive.  Inside of the first few chapters, I knew who the killer was, which made for a bit of a boring read.  However, there were still plenty of laugh-out-loud funny moments to make up for it!

Let's break it down...

(To see the usual recurring characters, click here.)

Mooner
A stoner from way back, Mooner doesn't have many brain cells left.  ;)  He is always very random, but ends up saying just the right thing at just the right time!

Nick Alpha
Jimmy's brother is out of jail and looking for revenge.  

Dave Brewer
An old friend from high school, Dave and Stephanie reconnect when their meddling parents try to set them up.

Regina Bugle
After failing to appear in court, Stephanie and Lula must track Regina down.  Turns out she's more than a little crazy...

RATINGS

Writing Style    9/10
Characters        6/10
Storyline          6/10

OVERALL       7/10

Although it's far from being my favorite, fans of the Plum Series are likely to enjoy Smokin' Seventeen!

*Kindle users:  Get it here*
*Prefer a hard copy?  Get it here*

Don't forget to like The Book Brieview Facebook pageInvite your friends! :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if any of the Plum books will equal meeting Grandma Mazur as she shot the chicken off the dinner table, but most subsequent books in the series had their special moments.

    I enjoyed this one in part because of conversations with and about a single-again woman that your mom and I know. Her friends have been teasing her and also seriously encouraging her to flirt a little and take an emotional chance.

    With her in mind, reading of Stephanie's sex-capades made me laugh. Maybe a year ago this book wouldn't have as funny to me.

    Wouldn't you love to see Bella and Grandma mix it up? Maybe Ranger could be called in to break it up, but how would he handle them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read every Stephanie Plum book, and up until the last few I even read them multiple times. I remember laughing out loud and loving the Stephanie Plum books. Sizzling Sixteen was a huge disappointment, and so I was hopeful that this one would be better. And it was to an extent, but still, not as funny as they have been and I figured out the mystery right away

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last few chapters were really boring of Smkin seventeen...

    - Herman Swan

    ReplyDelete