Saturday, June 25, 2011

Between Friends

Between FriendsI sat down with my Kindle last night and couldn't decide what to read.  I randomly chose Debbie Macomber's Between Friends... and, boy, do I wish I had gone with something else.  A compilation of letters, announcements, newspaper articles, etc., I found this book to be very repetitive and quite exhausting to read.  Although I appreciate a friendship that lasts a lifetime, I could've done without the sadness that plagued practically every page.

Let's break it down...


Lesley
Born to a poor family in 1948, Lesley is the product of an alcoholic father and a mother who won't stand up for herself.  She and Jillian become best friends early in life.  While everything around them changes and people come in and out of their lives, their friendship always stays the same.  Lesley must cope with her father's disapproval, multiple unwanted pregnancies, and a cheating husband... and that's just the tip of the iceberg! 


Jillian
Also born in 1948, Jillian is the only child of a wealthy lawyer and a housewife.  While Jillian has no need to want for anything material, other things don't come as easily and she is forced to endure great sadness multiple times throughout her life.  As a young woman, she only wishes to be in love and start a family.  She has limited luck with both and as a result, she doesn't want to give her heart away.  Her relationship with her parents becomes strained in the midst of all her woes and Jillian has trouble deciding where she belongs.

RATINGS

Writing Style        2/10 
Characters            4/10
Storyline              3/10

OVERALL     3/10

It is quite possible that you will enjoy this scrapbook style story... but this isn't the book to pick up if you're in the mood for a good, old-fashioned novel!!

If you decide to give it a try anyway...
*Kindle users:  Get it here*
*Prefer a hard copy?  Get it here*

Don't forget to like The Book Brieview Facebook pageInvite your friends! :)

2 comments:

  1. I read this long enough ago that I don't remember the details and while I keep track of what I've read (I'm notorious for purchasing a book I've already read if they put a new cover on it), the database I use isn't here on my laptop.

    This might be one of the books better read by someone older. I don't know that I would have liked it in my 20s, but I did enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it COULD have been a wonderful book... but the way she repeated herself 53616856352 times (haha) really wore me out. I think that particular story would have been better as a regular novel and not like a scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete