Sunday, June 19, 2011

Life's a Beach

Life's a BeachI was super excited to see this on the Kindle Top 100 Free list last week.  I'm a huge Claire Cook fan. The Wildwater Walking Club...  Loved it.  Summer Blowout...  Loved it.  With that being said, I have to be honest; this book just wasn't quite up to par.  I enjoyed it, but I also didn't mind putting it down if the phone rang or I was a little tired.  (If I'm reading a great book, the ringer gets turned off and I'll stay up all night to finish it if I have to. ;)  While the ending isn't necessarily disappointing, it also isn't very exciting... only very predictable.  Life's a Beach is a typical coming-of-age novel with average characters and relationships.


Let's break it down...

Ginger
At the age of forty-one, Ginger is living above her parents garage with her cat, Boyfriend.  She spends her time babysitting her sisters children, making sea glass jewelry, and trying to decide what to do for the rest of her life.  

Geri
Ginger's older sister, Geri, is obsessed with turning fifty and addicted to work.  She constantly criticizes Ginger's life choices... especially when it comes to her less-than-serious boyfriend, Noah.   

Riley
This second grader is one of the things that made Life's a Beach worth reading!  Riley is quite the comedian.  After being cast in a locally filmed movie, Ginger must accompany him to the beach for filming.


Tim
A gaffer working on the movie set, Tim is persistent in trying to win Ginger's affections.

Noah
Noah is a part time boyfriend and full time glass blower that Ginger can't seem to change.

RATINGS

Writing Style  5/10
Characters      4/10
Storyline        4/10

OVERALL     4/10

Although I normally highly recommend Claire Cook, Life's a Beach is not a book I'll be pushing my friends to read.

Want to give it a try?
*Kindle users:  Get it here*
*Prefer a hard copy?  Get it here*



Don't forget to like The Book Brieview Facebook pageInvite your friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment